There's been a lot of talk in the community about YA adaptions, especially after the Throne of Glass adaption news came out. And a lot of it has been negative. I realize that she's been under fire for her rep lately, but I did not see a single tweet about the adaption that was concerned with that - it was all just I DON'T WANT IT although I did see a few people who were cautiously optimistic. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't enjoyed many YA adaptions on TV. (Although I LIKED THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING WAY BACK WHEN, DAMMIT. Not that I ever read the books. And you know what? I LIKE SHADOWHUNTERS. I REALLY DO. I don't even like the book series but I enjoy the show. Is it the best thing over? No, of course not. But I have seen WAY shittier TV.) But I want people to stop shitting on YA adaptions. This is YOUR COMMUNITY. And all I ever hear is "no I don't want this adaption it's going to suck." And you know what? Maybe it will. But I am so, so tired of the negativity. I want Hollywood and every other studio to keep trying. I want them to keep making YA adaptions, because some day, they're going to get it right. And you might be ruining that. The second they announce an adaption, 90% of what I see is moaning and groaning. The other 10% is mostly authors who are being super supportive of their author friends!
This wasn't meant to turn into a rant, but another thing: I'm tired of people complaining about things being too different from the book. Now, if they're changing a character's ethnicity or identity, I understand that that's a totally different situation. If they're doing a complete 180 on a character's personality in a negative way, I get it! If they start killing off every good character and every POC, you have every right to be mad, not that you need me to say that. But if you're mad because they're changing basic stuff, adding new characters, etc. I just. Why. TV and especially cinema are a different medium than books - sometimes they do things differently. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they think it works better. And honestly, I never want to see exactly what I read. I already read it! BUT, if you don't like changes in adaptions, I'm not trying to say that you're wrong for that. I'm just trying to say that changes are inevitably going to happen, and if you don't like it?
Here's a concept: if you don't like the adaption, don't watch it. Just let other people enjoy it.
Anyway. Like I said. I want them to keep trying. If they screw it up? No harm done, really. You still have the book. SO HERE ARE SOME BOOKS I NEED A TV SHOW FOR.
A Netflix series full of mischief and magic and my powerful queen, Blue Sargent. Can you imagine seeing Pynch on your laptop screen? GANSEY IN THE FLESH (KIND OF)? The vibe and the set that Netflix would give this series would be amazing.
Also something I need from Netflix. Only I want it to start before Six of Crows - back when Inej was living a different life, when she first met Kaz. We could see Nina and Mathias and their history in the present instead of flashbacks. And then we could get to the heist, obviously.
Also, I WANT TO SEE KETTERDAM. IT COULD BE AMAZING.
The photo I have of TGFE is SUPER UGLY so here, have the sequel instead. It still counts because obviously this would need to be incorporated too.
For this one, I'm not sure what network I'd want. What I am sure about: SHIPS. THE OCEAN. HISTORIC HAWAII. IMAGINE THE BEAUTY, especially when you think about Kash on your TV screen. Nix is one of my absolute favorite protagonists and there's so much emotion from her that I'm afraid wouldn't translate onto screen well, but YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY. (If you haven't read The Girl From Everywhere yet, WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE? GO. BUY/BORROW. READ.)
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of this and I left my copy at home. I haven't read the sequel, either, and in all honestly it looks like I'm not going to, but I think this could be great on TV. Mostly because I need something to fill the Veronica Mars-sized hole in my heart. Obviously it would need to expanded for TV but I CAN SEE IT. I'm sure no one agrees with me on this but I think I'd like to see it on Freeform.
Would you like to see any of these on TV? Are there any other books you would love an adaption for? (I also think The Lunar Chronicles would be AMAZING but I forgot to add those so oops.)